Social media marketing has proven to be an effective tool for many businesses, with the platform providing a boost in both brand awareness and revenue. While its merits are undeniable, no marketing strategy is flawless. There are a few drawbacks to consider as well. So what are the social media marketing pros and cons – allow Motivated Marketing to explain!
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is a form of online marketing. Viewed on mobile or desktop, social media campaigns are a great way to connect with customers where they already spend a significant amount of time: their newsfeeds. Campaigns can be customized to meet particular goals, such as increasing brand awareness, boosting website traffic, and more.
In case you haven’t heard, popular social media platforms shape our culture, facilitating the spread of everything from breaking news to fashion trends. They are also a fantastic forum for brands to receive feedback and engage with their audience. Some of the most widely used platforms include Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
5 Advantages of Social Media Marketing
Social media campaigns are now a permanent fixture in most businesses’ marketing strategies. Here are 5 incredible social media marketing pros that deliver businesses great benefits:
ADVANTAGE #1: Reach a wider audience.
With more than 3.6 billion social media users (and counting!), a single post can make a major impact.
ADVANTAGE #2: Improve customer satisfaction.
Because social media encourages interaction, brands and consumers can engage in the kind of authentic, two-way communication that other marketing mediums simply can’t provide.
ADVANTAGE #3: Save money.
Here at M2, our marketing specialists can create and execute social media campaigns that yield big results for a small price.
ADVANTAGE #4: Increase website traffic.
Whether you’re teasing blog content or linking to a landing page, social media posts can be used to drive folks directly to your website. Once there, they can be encouraged to take the next step, whether that’s scheduling an appointment, making a purchase, or getting in touch.
ADVANTAGE #5: Gain better insights.
Social media platforms offer analytics and reporting features that allow our marketing specialists to check each campaign’s performance – and adjust as necessary.
5 Disadvantages of Social Media Marketing
Despite its strengths, social media marketing has some weaknesses as well. To present both sides of the story, we’ve detailed the disadvantages below:
DISADVANTAGE #1: Time-consuming process.
Establishing a social media presence takes time, especially if you’re starting from scratch. Once you’ve created your profile and started to gain traction, it’s crucial to post engaging content regularly.
DISADVANTAGE #2: Resources required.
While it’s possible for an advertising amateur to handle your social media marketing, you’re not likely to get the results you desire. M2’s Social Media Team focuses solely on boosting brands’ visibility and engagement – so let us handle the heavy lifting!
DISADVANTAGE #3: No immediate results.
Put simply, social media marketing takes some patience. It’s a long-term investment, after all. While campaigns often yield a high return on investment (ROI), you won’t see results immediately after posting.
DISADVANTAGE #4: Potential for poaching.
Because the content you post is public, there’s always the chance that your competition may try to use it to their advantage. Keep in mind, though, that you can keep an eye on your competitors this way, too!
DISADVANTAGE #5: Inherent vulnerability.
Negative reviews can damage your reputation, especially when consumers hop on social media to air their grievances. Like your posts, theirs are public too – so the risk of bad press is ever-present.
Businesses That Benefit From Social Media Marketing
Some businesses benefit more from social media marketing than others, including the following:
Small businesses and startups
Social media marketing is a great way to get your name out there and start connecting with potential customers.
Whether social media is used to highlight available properties or promote open houses, real estate companies can benefit greatly.
Direct sales companies
Businesses that sell goods and services directly to consumers often rely on social media to build their following – and boost sales!
Businesses that sell to other businesses can benefit as well, with social media marketing allowing them to identify their target audience and communicate directly with them.
Statistics: How Good is Social Media as Marketing Tools
- Biggest Social Media Platforms Per Users: #1 Facebook, #2 Instagram and #3 Tik Tok (as of 2023)
- Average Facebook user will spend 5 hours a day on the platform.
- Instagram will be the most used social network with over 1 billion active users.
- YouTube will be the second largest social network with over 800 million active users.
- Twitter will have over 500 million active users.
- Over 300 million people will use TikTok every month.
- Snapchat will have over 300 million active users.
- LinkedIn will have over 400 million active users.
- Pinterest will have over 200 million active users.
- Over 80% of all social media users will access their accounts via mobile.
- Social media ad spending will reach $50 billion.
- Facebook will generate over $30 billion in social media ad revenue.
- Over 70% of marketers will use influencer marketing.
- 13. More than 80% of companies will use artificial intelligence in their marketing campaigns.
- Video will make up more than 85% of all social media content.
- Over 80% of all social media users will use at least one messaging app.
- Nearly 80% of all online purchases will be influenced by social media.
- The average user will follow between 10 and 20 brands on social media.
- Over 80% of companies will use social media for customer service.
- More than 60% of companies will use live streaming for marketing purposes.
- Social media will be used for more than 70% of all customer research.
Social media marketing will remain important because it offers businesses an effective and relatively low–cost way to reach their target audience. With the ongoing growth of social media, businesses can use social media to connect with customers, build relationships, and create brand awareness. Additionally, it can be used to introduce new products, promote events, and increase website traffic. Furthermore, social media marketing provides businesses with valuable insights into customer behavior, allowing them to tailor their marketing strategies to meet customer needs.
Indeed, it can be a difficult space for businesses to use. It‘s an extremely competitive space, with tons of users and content. This means businesses must be creative and put in the time and effort to make content that stands out and connects with their target audience. All in all, social media is great tool for marketing and its advantages are more than its disadvantages. When used the right way, it can be a very useful tool for businesses to reach and engage with their target audience.
Plus, if you’re still wary on if it’s offers a good ROI, you can hire Motivated Marketing to handle your entire account and marketing campaign. Interested, simply reach us today!
People Also Asked
- Can Business Instagram See Who Viewed Profile?
- Do Small Businesses Need Social Media Marketing?
- Instagram: 3 Reasons to Get on the ‘Gram & How to Create Business Account
- Revealing the Truth Behind Instagram Marketing
- Why Instagram Is Good For Business
- Social Media Marketing FAQs
Need to Pick A Good Social Media Agency Near Me, Choose A Full-Service Marketing Agency Like Motivated Marketing
Yes, there are a lot of social media marketing pros, however, social media is just one service that our talented team provides. Check out the links below to learn more about our Charleston marketing agency and the comprehensive services we provide! Learn more about each of our main verticals here:
And check out the A-to-Z comprehensive marketing services we provide:
- Brand Development
- Digital Advertising
- Direct Mail
- Email Marketing
- Graphic Design
- Media Buying
- Social Media
- Video Production
- Web Development
To consult a marketing specialist, contact us today! Feel free to shoot us a message or call 843-856-7322. We can’t wait to talk strategy and growth opportunities for your business, reach us today!